Jump to Navigation

Child Support Modification ◦ Post-Divorce Matters

It is not uncommon for circumstances of one spouse or the other to change after a divorce. A post-divorce decree may be necessary to modify custody or support orders as follows:

  • Modification of child support
  • Modification of child custody
  • Modification of child custody to accommodate a move-away (relocation) of the child
  • Modification of spousal support

If both parents/spouses agree to the modification, formalizing it will be straightforward. If a post-divorce modification is contested, it may be necessary to resolve the difference through litigation.

Moving With Children After Divorce

A move-away situation is often heartbreaking when small children are involved. When the custodial parent takes a small child out of state, the opportunities for the other parent to nurture strong parent-child bond are greatly diminished. Instead of weekly visitation, the parent may see the child only a few times a year, with greater expenses and inconvenience involved.

If you are a custodial parent wishing to move your child out of state after a divorce, be prepared to demonstrate that your son's or daughter's best interests are served by changes such as the following:

  • An upgrade in lifestyle, thanks to your new and better job in another state
  • Better schools
  • A better house
  • More contact with extended family

Conversely, if you are the visiting parent, be prepared to demonstrate why your child will be better off staying in state.

Talk to a knowledgeable attorney about laws on child support modification or any aspect of a post divorce modification. Contact the law office of Andrew D. Washor, to schedule a free initial consultation.

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Serving Floridians Since 1978
Review Us